Los Angeles, CA—A former Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officer who had been charged with committing lewd acts on minors has passed away while in custody. Former LAPD officer Paul Razo, 46, was taken into custody on May 10 after being charged by prosecutors with eight counts of lewd acts on a child. The alleged incidents took place at Razo’s residence on Brightview Drive in the Covina area, where he knew the victims through personal relationships.
The crimes were said to have occurred between 2006 and 2017, with the victims ranging in age from approximately 9 to 13 years old at the time. While being held in custody at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Inmate Reception Center, Paul Razo passed away due to medical complications, according to the department. The exact nature of these complications has not been disclosed, and the circumstances surrounding his death are currently under investigation.
This untimely event adds a layer of complexity to the ongoing case, leaving authorities and the community searching for answers and seeking closure for the victims. Razo’s arrest marked the beginning of the legal process, with arraignment hearings scheduled for multiple days last week and today.
However, the hearings were repeatedly postponed for unspecified reasons, causing further frustration and uncertainty. The delays, coupled with Razo’s sudden passing, have left the future of the legal proceedings uncertain and added to the challenges faced by the victims seeking justice.
The death of former LAPD officer Paul Razo while in custody adds complexity to the case against him, leaving many questions unanswered. As investigations continue into the circumstances of his passing, it remains vital for authorities to provide transparency and closure to the victims and the community.
”Razo has been employed by the Los Angeles Police Department for approximately 24 years and was last assigned to Hollywood Area as a training coordinator. He separated from the Department in March 2023,” the LAPD statement said.